Once you've applied and been accepted to participate in a short-term global experience, it's time to get ready to go!

Before you leave for your short-term global experience, be sure to read through the Pre-Departure Guide. Below you'll also find some tips to help you make the most of your experience while ensuring you keep safe and healthy while overseas.

Health and safety

Medical Advice

Visiting a doctor before you leave for your exchange is strongly encouraged. The doctor will be able to provide information about required vaccinations and health advice for your destination.

If you are on any medication, be sure to take an adequate supply, as an equivalent medication may not be available at your destination. You will require a letter describing the contents of your medication from a doctor in order to carry this through customs. You should also confirm that the medication is permitted in your host country.

Smart Traveller

We recommend that you register your travel plans on smartraveller.gov.au so that you can be contacted in the event of an emergency. The site also has comprehensive travel tips, up-to-date country information, and travel warnings for dangerous countries.

Download the Smartraveller app before you go overseas.

Registration & Passports

  • If you are an Australian citizen you can register your trip online.
  • If your passport is lost or stolen you must report it to the nearest Australian consulate and report the loss online.
  • Get a copy of the police report or report number.
  • To get a replacement, you must complete an application and have proof of your Australian Citizenship.
  • Citizens of other countries should research the process of reporting a lost/stolen passport and obtaining a replacement for their home country. 

Visa and finance

You will need to ensure that you have all relevant paperwork in order before you leave. It is recommended that you carry photocopies of all important documents and also leave copies with your family or friends.


  • Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months longer than the duration of your trip.
  • Scan a copy of your passport before you leave and save it somewhere secure and easily accessible.
  • Make a note of the address and telephone number of the Australian embassy or consulate nearest to your host university in case of emergencies.

Student Visa

  • Check with the host university, a travel agent, or the country’s consulate/embassy here in Australia to find out about the visa requirements and costs for your short-term experience.
  • You may need research visa requirements for other countries you plan to travel through while you are overseas.
  • We are unable to provide detailed advice on visas, so please contact the consulate/embassy of your host country if you have any specific questions about visas.


  • Notify all financial institutions in Australia about your travel plans if you plan to use your Australian account/cards while overseas.
  • Be aware of any fees associated with international withdrawals/purchases.


If you are participating in a UQ Approved Short-Term Global Experience, you will be asked to enter your travel details via the online application. In order to be covered by UQ’s Corporate Travel and Health insurance, you must complete the online travel details form.

UQ Approved Short-Term Global Experience participants are covered by The University of Queensland’s Corporate Travel Insurance. UQ Corporate Travel Insurance will only cover students while they are in the country of their short-term experience. If you plan to travel outside of the host country, it is strongly recommended that additional travel and health insurance is purchased prior to departure from Australia.

For information about what is covered under the policy, please read the Policy Summary.

Certificate of Currency

  • When applying to the host program, or for your visa, you may be required to show proof of insurance. You are able to request a Certificate of Currency from the UQ Insurance Office once you have been accepted by the host.
  • You can only request a Certificate of Currency after you have submitted your host acceptance and travel details to UQ Abroad and you have received your Travel Insurance Reference Number from the UQ Insurance Office.

Making a Claim

  • If you need to make an insurance claim, follow the instructions outlined on the UQ Insurance website.
  • Make sure that you attach all documents related to your claim (receipts for electronic equipment, police reports (in the event of a theft), doctor’s / hospital’s bills in the event of a medical claim).

Additional Insurance

  • Taking out additional coverage with UQ’s insurer, Chubb Travel Insurance Ltd, is possible and up to you to organise through Chubb's website.
  • If you take out cover with a different insurer you will have to check their terms and conditions, as some insurers will only provide cover if they are insuring the whole trip.

Emergency Situations

In the event of an emergency overseas follow the instructions of the local authorities in the first instance.

Telephone CHUBB Assistance on +61 28907 5995 (reverse charge call from anywhere in the world) and advise that you are covered under The University of Queensland Student Travel Insurance Policy number 01PP529201.

Students travelling in a country where they also have citizenship may not be covered for medical expenses or medical evacuation through the UQ Corporate Travel Insurance plan.  

Flights and accommodation

We do not recommend that you purchase plane tickets until you receive an official acceptance letter from the host and the appropriate visa for your global experience.

Once accepted into the global experience, the host university should provide you with information on accommodation choices and application instructions. It is your responsibility to secure accommodation for the duration of your experience.

Depending on the short-term experience, students may be able to choose from:

  • On-campus
  • Off-campus
  • Share house/apartment
  • Homestay

You are strongly advised to apply for accommodation managed by your host program, if available, and to apply as soon as possible in order to secure a place. If you have any further queries regarding accommodation options for your short-term experience it is best to contact the host university directly.