Prepare to go on exchange

Once you've been accepted to participate in the semester-based exchange program, it's time to get ready to go!

Below you'll find some tips to help you make the most of your experience while ensuring you keep safe and healthy while overseas.

5. Insurance

If you are participating in a UQ Approved Global Experience you can be covered by UQ's Corporate Travel Insurance and International SOS.

Important notice

UQ travel insurance cover for approved UQ travel has not changed. If your Exchange / Global Experience is cancelled or adjusted, and you need to cancel or change booked travel arrangements as a result (eg flights or accommodation), the UQ travel insurance policy will not respond to travel cancellation and disruption claims relating to or resulting from COVID-19 for travel arranged on or after 4 pm (AEDT) on 2 March 2020. If you are able to undertake your Exchange / Global Experience, UQ travel insurance cover for medical and medical evacuation expenses is subject to full policy terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. This includes that UQ travellers must exercise due diligence in planning and undertaking approved UQ travel. Failure to exercise due diligence could mean that cover is not available for medical expenses incurred as a result. For more information refer to UQ Travel FAQs

UQ Corporate Travel Insurance Coverage Details

UQ’s global experience participants are covered by UQ’s Corporate Travel Insurance:

  • Only in the country of their global experience
  • For direct travel to/from the host country for the duration of the program

If you plan to travel outside of your host country, we recommended that you purchase additional travel and health insurance before you leave. You can take out additional coverage with UQ’s insurer Chubb Travel Insurance Ltd or another insurance company. It is up to you to organise any additional coverage.

Students travelling in a country where they also have citizenship may not be covered for medical expenses while overseas or medical evacuation.

Find out more about UQ's insurance policy

Certificate of Currency

When applying to the host university or for your visa, you may be required to show proof of insurance (called a Certificate of Currency). You can request a Certificate of Currency from the UQ Insurance Office once you have been accepted by the host.

You can only request a Certificate of Currency after you have:

  • a UQ Global Experiences Confirmation letter (request a UQ Global Experience Confirmation Letter if you don't already have one)
  • submitted your host acceptance to the Internships and Global Experiences Team;
  • completed the ISOS profile and travel details (see step 4. International SOS)

If you have any questions about requesting a Certificate of Currency, contact us at

Mandatory host health insurance 

Some universities will require you to purchase an insurance package in addition to the UQ insurance, to meet visa or enrolment requirements. You should contact your host university directly if you have any questions.

Some partner universities allow you to apply for a waiver from purchasing their insurance package if you submit a:

  • Certificate of Currency (login required)
  • summary of the UQ travel policy, and
  • a document provided by the host university’s insurer outlining the requirements that must be met to receive the waiver. This document must be submitted to and signed by UQ’s insurance company.
  • waiver eligibility is assessed by the host university and is not guaranteed as requirements are subject to change.
  • before purchasing an additional policy, students should confirm that the policy meets the host university’s minimum waiver requirements.

Emergency situations

In the event of an emergency overseas follow the instructions of the local authorities in the first instance.

Telephone CHUBB Assistance on +61 28907 5995 (reverse charge call from anywhere in the world) and advise that you are covered under The University of Queensland Student Travel Insurance Policy number 01PP529201.

Students travelling in a country where they also have citizenship may not be covered for medical expenses or medical evacuation through the Corporate Travel Insurance plan.