Prepare to go on exchange

Once you've been accepted to participate in the semester-based exchange program, it's time to get ready to go!

Below you'll find some tips to help you make the most of your experience while ensuring you keep safe and healthy while overseas.

Work your way through the IGET Pre-departure Essentials Checklist to help you prepare.

3. Entry requirements and finance

We recommend that you carry photocopies of all important documents and give copies to your family or friends.


Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months longer than the duration of your trip. Scan a copy of your passport before you leave and save it somewhere secure and easily accessible.

Make a note of the address and telephone number of the Australian embassy or consulate nearest to your host university in case of emergencies.

Student visa (and other entry requirements)

Many countries require students to obtain a student visa or study permit for their exchange period. Depending on your destination, it can take up to 3 months for documents to be processed.

You will not be able to apply for your student visa/entry permit until you have received an official acceptance letter from your host university, however, you are strongly advised to research your options, by contacting the relevant consulate or embassy in Australia, and start organising the required documents early. A list of country consulates and embassies is available from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

Things to find out about a student visa or study permit:

  • the type of visa/study permit you will need to apply for;
  • supporting documents required as part of the application (e.g. host university acceptance letter, proof of accommodation, evidence of sufficient fundsr, police check, flight details);
  • the costs involved (for the visa/study permit itself, the application, obtaining required supporting documents, and travel to a consulate/embassy (in another state) to have the visa/study permit issued); and
  • where the visa/study permit must be issued – will you need to be in Australia, or can you complete the process in a third country?

You will need to also research entry requirements for other countries you plan to travel through while you are overseas.

If possible, do not pay in full for or confirm travel plans before your exchange until you have your visa in your passport.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct visa or study permit for the country you are entering. The Internships and Global Experiences Team is unable to provide detailed advice on visas. Contact the consulate/embassy of your host country if you have any specific questions.


Notify all financial institutions in Australia about your travel plans if you plan to use your Australian account/cards while overseas. Be aware of any fees associated with international withdrawals/purchases.


If you receive assistance from Centrelink, you may be able to continue receiving these payments while you are overseas as a UQ exchange student.

You can request a UQ Global Experience Confirmation Letter (available through your workflow) from Global Experiences after you have been officially accepted by your host university and have received official approval from your faculty. Contact Centrelink for more details concerning your eligibility and payments. Rent Assistance is not generally paid while you are on exchange.

OS-Help Loan & other funding

Please note: if you have received an offer for an OS-HELP Loan or Student Exchange funding, you cannot be paid until you have submitted your travel details form.