During your experience

2. Health and Safety

It's a good idea to be familiar with health and safety information in case you need it.  

Travel Advisories

Sign up for the Smartraveller Travel Advisories subscription to receive updates regarding travel alert levels, safety issues, health care and health risks, local laws, entry requirements, and local contacts.

In case of emergency

In the event of an emergency overseas follow the instructions of the local authorities in the first instance.

Contact International SOS

International SOS will offer UQ travellers 24/7 pre-departure medical, safety and security information and advice. International SOS will also provide both routine and emergency assistance when UQ's people are travelling. In addition, International S0S will help UQ locate and confirm the safety of its travellers in time of crisis both domestically and internationally.

Phone: +61 2 9372 2468 (reverse charge available)
Email: sydney@internationalsos.com.

You will need to provide UQ's Membership Number 12AYCA778031.

If your travel plans change, please ensure to update the My Trips section of ISOS accordingly.

Health and Wellbeing

If you are experiencing any challenges regarding a pre-existing or new medical condition, mental health condition or disability that may require assistance or special conditions, don't forget to seek out and use the resources available to you while overseas:

  • local GP or medical supports
  • local disability, diversity and inclusion support services
  • international student support services at the host university

You are also encouraged to stay in contact with your support networks and service providers in Australia while you are overseas.

If you are in need of counselling whilst on exchange there are a couple of options available to you depending on your support needs. The best option will usually be with your exchange University as they can provide face-to-face counselling and will be linked with local supports, both academic and other. If there is a crisis and you need urgent support in-country you can also access ISOS (insert phone number). UQ Counsellors are unable to offer support to students while they are overseas but we still offer a range of other supports including student advisers. Please contact us on student.services@uq.edu.au and we can assist you in identifying the best support for you.

Lost or stolen passport

If your passport is lost or stolen you must report it to the nearest Australian consulate and report the loss online. Get a copy of the police report or report number.

To get a replacement, you must complete an application and have proof of your Australian Citizenship.

Need help?

If you need help urgently and cannot get in contact with an Internships and Global Experiences Coordinator, the Australian Government have resources that may assist you.