Kyushu University


Kyushu University has grown to be one of the most prestigious universities in Japan. The campus is located in the very area that first took up continental culture, and it is surrounded by the rich nature of the sea and mountains. Students develop in this rich cultural and natural environment, with excellent teachers, a cosmopolitan student body, and wide-ranging interaction with people in the local community and industry.

Kyushu University is located in Fukuoka on the Northern shore of Kyushu Island. Fukuoka has the most yakitori restaurants per capita of all major Japanese cities.

Semester dates

UQ Semester Host Semester Dates
Semester 1 First semester (Spring) April–July/August
Semester 2 Second semester (Autumn) October–February

View the Kyushu University academic calendar.

Guides and additional information

Kyushu University has online resources to help get more from your exchange:


Exchange students can study at Kyushu University's Ito campus.

Exchange deadlines

22 June for Semester 1 of the following year.

TBC for Semester 2 of the following year.

Full-time study load

14 tani / credits per semester at Kyushu University is equivalent to 8 UQ units.

Minimum academic requirements

You will need a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.25 to study at Kyushu University.

Continuous enrolment at UQ before starting the exchange semester at Kyushu University is required.

Find courses

Search the Kyushu University course catalogue if courses do not appear in the database.

Please refer to the "Additional academic information" section for study options at Kyushu University. 

Search the Credit Precedent Database to find courses offered by your host university that have been previously approved for credit at UQ. The database should be used as a general guide only. 

Study areas taught in English


Exchange deadlines

22 June for Semester 1 of the following year.

TBC for Semester 2 of the following year.


Kyushu University will try to arrange rooms for international students in Kyushu University Dormitory, however, places are not guaranteed. Students may be housed in the Designated Dormitory or be required to find private accommodation.

Cost of living

Living costs are significantly lower in Fukuoka than in Tokyo, Kyoto or Osaka. Kyushu University provides some information on the estimated monthly living costs in Fukuoka and there are guides to managing your expenses while living in Japan.

Financial support

A range of funding for student exchange including scholarships, grants and loans are available to UQ students.  

Students studying at Kyushu University may be eligible for the JASSO Scholarship. Students are encouraged to find more information on these scholarships to determine their eligibility.


Students approved to participate in the Student Exchange Program are automatically covered by UQ’s Travel Insurance for the country of their host university only.

For more information, read the Student Travel Insurance Policy Summary on UQ’s Travel Insurance web page (login required).

If you plan to travel outside of your host country, you should purchase additional insurance.

All foreign nationals who are granted permission to stay in Japan for 3 months or more must enrol in the National Health Insurance (NHI) system

Exchange deadlines

22 June for Semester 1 of the following year.

TBC for Semester 2 of the following year.

Organise your visa

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct visa for the country where you will be studying. As the Global Experiences team is not a visa-issuing authority we cannot provide visa advice.

Kyushu University has visa and immigration information for incoming exchange students.

Contact the Consulate General of Japan for more visa information.

Travel risk levels

The University of Queensland cannot and does not allow UQ Abroad students to travel to any country with a risk level of 3 (Reconsider your need to travel) or above, as assessed by the Australian Government.

If a country's risk level changes to 3 or above, UQ Abroad programs to that country are suspended until the risk level improves.

Find out the risk level and travel advice for your host country on the Smartraveller website.

Register your travel plans

We recommend that you register your travel plans on the Smartraveller website so that the Australian Government can contact you or your family in an emergency.

Non-Australian citizens should register with their closest consulate.

Exchange deadlines

22 June for Semester 1 of the following year.

TBC for Semester 2 of the following year.