City University of Hong Kong

Hong Kong
Hong Kong — SAR

Language of instruction


City University of Hong Kong was established as a university in 1994 and has grown to become a modern and international university. CityU places emphasis on diversity, intercultural learning and global vision in its approach to teaching, and has built an international network for academic collaboration. CityU is ranked 4th among the world's top 50 universities under 50 years of age.

The University is located in the heart of Asia's World City. Hong Kong combines the best of the East and West with its never-ending medley of food, fashion, culture, science and technology.

Semester dates

UQ Semester Host Semester Dates
Semester 1 Semester B January–May
Semester 2 Semester A September–December

View the CityU academic calendar.

Guides and additional information

City University of Hong Kong has online resources to help get more from your exchange:

Exchange deadlines

22 June for Semester 1 of the following year.

31 October for Semester 2 of the following year.

Full-time study load

12 credits per semester at CityU is equivalent to 8 UQ units.

Minimum academic requirements

You will need a minimum cumulative GPA of 4.5 to study at CityU.

Law students will need a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.25 to study at CityU.

Find courses

Search the CityU course catalogue if courses do not appear in the database.

Search the Credit Precedent Database to find courses offered by your host university that have been previously approved for credit at UQ. The database should be used as a general guide only. 

Study areas taught in English

Chemistry and biochemistry
Civil and structural engineering
Computer science
Electrical engineering
Environmental studies
Film, TV and media
Information technology
International business
Mathematics and statistics
Mechanical engineering
Public policy

Exchange deadlines

22 June for Semester 1 of the following year.

31 October for Semester 2 of the following year.


CityU has a limited number of on-campus student residences available for exchange students. Incoming students are encouraged to apply for this accommodation when applying for exchange studies, however, places in on-campus residences are not guaranteed.

Exchange students at CityU should be prepared to arrange off-campus accommodation for the duration of their stay. The Student Residence Office of CityU will provide information and assistance to students in search of off-campus housing. 

Cost of living

CityU provides a guide to the cost of living for exchange students in Hong Kong, factoring tuition fees, accommodation and general expenses.

Financial support

A range of funding for student exchange including scholarships, grants and loans are available to UQ students.  


Students approved to participate in the Student Exchange Program are automatically covered by UQ’s Travel Insurance for the country of their host university only.

For more information, read the Student Travel Insurance Policy Summary on UQ’s Travel Insurance web page (login required).

If you plan to travel outside of your host country, you should purchase additional insurance.

Exchange students at CityU are required to have an adequate health insurance policy for the entire period of their studies in Hong Kong.

Exchange deadlines

22 June for Semester 1 of the following year.

31 October for Semester 2 of the following year.

Organise your visa

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct visa for the country where you will be studying. As the Global Experiences team is not a visa-issuing authority we cannot provide visa advice.

CityU provides visa and immigration information for incoming exchange students.

Contact the Immigration Department of Hong Kong for more visa information.

Travel risk levels

The University of Queensland cannot and does not allow UQ Abroad students to travel to any country with a risk level of 3 (Reconsider your need to travel) or above, as assessed by the Australian Government.

If a country's risk level changes to 3 or above, UQ Abroad programs to that country are suspended until the risk level improves.

Find out the risk level and travel advice for your host country on the Smartraveller website.

Register your travel plans

We recommend that you register your travel plans on the Smartraveller website so that the Australian Government can contact you or your family in an emergency.

Non-Australian citizens should register with their closest consulate.

Exchange deadlines

22 June for Semester 1 of the following year.

31 October for Semester 2 of the following year.