Effective date: 31 March 2022

1. Overview

The University supports authorised travel for students to enrich their student experience and enhance their employability.

Authorised travel is where a currently enrolled UQ student undertakes an authorised activity more than 50km away from their usual residence or study location and involves an overnight stay. The activity must be related to their enrolment as a student, although it may be non-credit bearing. Authorised travel only applies to the approved activity dates and locations. Any travel outside these parameters is considered private (ref paragraph 3.4 below).

This Procedure applies to all UQ students (undergraduate/postgraduate coursework students and HDR candidates) undertaking authorised travel both within Australia and internationally, regardless of whether UQ provides any financial support or not.

This Procedure does NOT apply to:

  1. students who are undertaking personal travel, which is not related to their enrolment at UQ
  2. students who are also staff of the University and are undertaking UQ business travel in their capacity as a staff member. In such cases, the UQ Travel Policy will apply.

Request for exemptions to this procedure must be put in writing and formally approved by the relevant approver prior to commencement of travel and will only be considered where it is deemed fair and reasonable to apply an approved exemption.

Defined terms used in this Procedure are set out in the Definitions Section.

Looking for more information?

If you are looking for more information or have questions, you can contact