Kobe University


Language of instruction


Kobe University is one of the oldest national universities in Japan. It is an academic institution that has continued to encourage forward-looking and independent thinking in working toward the idea of creating harmony between theory and reality.

The City of Kobe is the capital of Hyogo Prefecture, sandwiched between the Rokko mountain range in the north and the Inland Sea of Seto in the South. Tokyo is only 3 hours away by Shinkansen.

Semester dates

UQ Semester Host Semester Dates
Semester 1 First Semester (Spring) April–August
Semester 2 Second Semester (Autumn) October–February

View the Kobe University academic calendar.

Guides and additional information

Kobe University has online resources to help get more from your exchange:


Kobe University has multiple campuses located around the city:

  • Rokkodai campus
  • Kusunoki campus
  • Myodani campus
  • Fukae campus

Exchange deadlines

May 31 for Semester 1 of the following year.

October 31 for Semester 2 of the following year.

Student testimonials

Full-time study load

14 tani / credits per semester at Kobe University is equivalent to 8 UQ units.

Minimum academic requirements

You will need a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0 to study at Kobe University.

Courses taught in Japanese require the proficiency level of JLPT N2 or above.

Find courses

Search the Kobe University course catalogue if courses do not appear in the database.

Search the Credit Precedent Database to find courses offered by your host university that have been previously approved for credit at UQ. The database should be used as a general guide only. 

Study areas taught in English


Course restrictions

If your course load is made up predominantly of Japanese language courses from the CIE (Centre for International Education), you must take at least 1 discipline-focused course from the Kobe faculties.

Many discipline-focused courses offered at Kobe are conducted in Japanese.

Additional academic information

Available study options at Kobe:

1. Discipline-focused courses taught in English at the Faculty:

2. If you wish to study Japanese language course at Kobe, please note the below:

There are 3 types of Japanese language courses available at the CIE (Centre for International Education).

  • Integrated Japanese language courses meet once a week for 90 minutes, and are worth 1 credit each. Available from Beginner to Upper Intermediate levels. Exchange students with no Japanese language background are welcome to apply. In addition to studying Integrated Japanese language courses, exchange students must take at least 1 discipline-focused course from the faculties.
  • Japanese language and Japanese Study courses only open to UG students at the advanced level, JLPT N2 is required.
  • 300-hour Intensive Japanese Language Program is limited to students who received the MEXT scholarship for 1-year study at Kobe, and is worth 10 credits.

Exchange students are recommended to take Integrated Japanese language courses offered by the CIE plus 1 or more discipline-focused course from the faculties.

3. Kobe University Educational Program on Current Japan is an English/ English & Japanese taught program open to exchange students. 


The official Kobe academic transcript will be issued by the Faculty you selected at Kobe.

Kobe University has online resources to help navigate their academic policies:

Exchange deadlines

May 31 for Semester 1 of the following year.

October 31 for Semester 2 of the following year.


Kobe University offers dormitories for international students (single room only), however, places are allocated on a vacancy basis and are not guaranteed. Generally, the university accommodation will only be available 1 day prior to the start of semester. Other accommodation options include private dormitories, private apartments, or public housing. The University provides information and support to assist students in finding suitable accommodation.

Cost of living

Living in Kobe can be either expensive or quite affordable, depending on your lifestyle and expectations. Kobe University has provided a list of estimated living costs to help students gauge their monthly budget and prepare for their exchange.

Financial support

A range of funding for student exchange including scholarships, grants and loans are available to UQ students.  

You may be eligible for scholarships while studying at Kobe University. Students are encouraged to explore all available scholarships to find more information and determine their eligibility.


Students approved to participate in the Student Exchange Program are automatically covered by UQ’s Travel Insurance for the country of their host university only.

For more information, read the Student Travel Insurance Policy Summary on UQ’s Travel Insurance web page (login required).

If you plan to travel outside of your host country, you should purchase additional insurance.

International students who reside in Japan for more than 3 months must register for the National Health Insurance (NHI) scheme. This system is in place to significantly reduce any medical costs students may encounter while studying. Kobe University has additional information to help you understand the enrollment process for the NHI.

Exchange deadlines

May 31 for Semester 1 of the following year.

October 31 for Semester 2 of the following year.

Organise your visa

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct visa for the country where you will be studying. As the Global Experiences team is not a visa-issuing authority we cannot provide visa advice.

Contact the Consulate General of Japan for visa and immigration information.

Travel risk levels

The University of Queensland cannot and does not allow students to travel to any country with a risk level of 3 (Reconsider your need to travel) or above, as assessed by the Australian Government.

If a country's risk level changes to 3 or above, Global Experience programs to that country are suspended until the risk level improves.

Find out the risk level and travel advice for your host country on the Smartraveller website.

Register your travel plans

We recommend that you register your travel plans on the Smartraveller website so that the Australian Government can contact you or your family in an emergency.

Non-Australian citizens should register with their closest consulate.

Exchange deadlines

May 31 for Semester 1 of the following year.

October 31 for Semester 2 of the following year.